Sunday, July 05, 2009

Sunday, July 5, 2009. Day 17

Stats
Trip Total: 1277.7
Day Total: 92.74
Avg speed: 19.9
Got up at a reasonable time and went for breakfast where I had a very interesting conversation, in the common language that we all share, with a Turkish family that was also having breakfast. I then packed up, loaded Spithas, and drove back to where I had met Ali the guy that helped me find the hotel. There was a pazari (farmer's market) at that spot and I bought a "karpouz" (water melon) which we slaughtered and ate inviting the local policeman and an army officer.

Below in the photo, it is Ali and me, who told me, as I was leaving, that at Tocat, his place of birth, there are a lot of antiquities that one can easily dig out. If I were interested we could push them and make a lot of money. If anybody is interested let me know and I'll bring you in touch with Ali who made sure that he get my phone number and give me his.

I hit the road at 11:40. Miles were going fast. The road pavement was in good condition which got even better and I had decided to follow the obama technique to be cute and charming hoping that the elements would listen to me just like foreign leaders, charmed by the cute president do whatever he asks them to. The obama technique worked and the wind subsided.

Once more I noticed a couple of instances of people hitchhiking. I must say that I've seen a lot of them so far and it seems to be a popular way to travel in Turkey.

The landscape was really beautiful and there were a lot of luxurious hotels built in a way that was not invasive. A few pictures will convey the idea.

The 50 km distance went by like a breeze. No wind and nice pavement is all a biker needs in life. Under these circumstances I can do up to 180 kms in one day of riding. Here are the Alanya city limits.

Alanya from a distanceIn the meantime, Spithas was giving me problems. It seemed that the front wheel which after the lubrication was producing a subtle squeeqy sound, was not exactly centered. So I went looking for a bike shop. I asked a bunch of cab drivers, assuming that they would know the town well, who promptly gave me directions but told me that since today is Sunday (I must admit I've lost the sense of time and I am not sure about the month, let alone the day of the week,) it would probably be closed. I decided to do a few more miles and headed for Gazipaha, the next big town. Before leaving, though, I bikde around town and took a glimpse. I'm glad I did so because the town turned out to be another flower in every respect!!!! It is exquisite. A few photos will convince you.

Vıew of the castle

Gazıpasha(victorious pasha) is another fifty kms away. This time the pavement of the road was not good at all but the cuty pie obama technique was still at work. The landscape is still very pretty but as I was getting further and further away from Alanye the hotels and the buildings were no longer as pretty and luxurious. Still the scenery was stunning. A few photos will convince you. This entire strech of about 150 kms so far is absolutely breathtaking. The Turks have really developed it well and the potential for further development is great. If you couple the above with the ridiculously cheap prices you get a winning combination.


As you approach Gazipasha you notice more and more banana plantations and beautiful beaches.
As I was on the last three kms of the ride I heard a noise and felt a bump. As you probably guessed I had another flat. My rear wheel was flat and I had to get off the bike and push till the next big shade I could find. I knew what to do. As I was taking the tools out, Heyre, the owner of the nearby marble store, noticed my trouble and came out to my help. He actually did help me and also offered me water and food. He was really nice. After the problem was fixed I bid him goodbye. He told me that now I have a friend in Gezipasha. After that I headed for the town. I had no trouble finding a hotel(Kent Hotel.) After I settled down and took a shower, I went out to do some food shopping.

1 comment:

  1. Extrapulation of your current speed, assuming fatigue at an increasing rate, you are going to reach ////me//// on july 18-19. Good/

    Without any hint of a pressure - keep in mind that I am leaving for Laos July 23

    Elli

    ReplyDelete