Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sunday 19 July, 2009. Day 31.

The Israeli weekend is on Friday and on Saturday. Sunday is a regular working day. Got up at 7:00 and by 7:30 was driving to Tel Aviv with Eli. After hanging out at Eli’s office for coffee I went out looking for a bike store to find a box to pack Spithas for the airplane.

Tel Aviv is a very beautiful and different from the usual city. It has a tropical atmospere which reminded me of Miami. Its avenues are really wide and its high buildings do not look as high because of the ample space around them. It is a relatively new city that started to sprawl in the 1950s and its developers really took into account the lessons and the mistakes of city development that past experience made available.
It was not that difficult finding a store and the employee was really accommodating. I walked back with the box which I left in the car at the garage. After that I went out to explore the city. I started walking towards the sea front with the intention to explore the beaches. As I was walking I heard a voice shouting my name and when I looked across the street it was Ales, the Slovenian journalist from yesterday. I crossed the street joined him and we decided to find a place to sit and have a refreshment and lots of conversation. We actually our conversation lasted for almost two hours. Then he had to leave to get ready for Egypt which was his next stop, and I still had to see the beaches.

The beach front is full of expensive hotels, there is continuous going back and forth of people, and the place is really alive.


After walking around the beach front I grabbed a hummus sandwich from a stand and walked back to Eli’s office which is on the 36th floor of the highest building of Tel Aviv and can be seen in the background of the photo below.

At 15:00 Eli and I got in his car and drove about 60 kms to Natanya where Eli teaches at the University. He had to give a test. I walked around the grounds to acquaint myself with the establishment. It is a neat place and it must be the semitropical weather that makes it hard for me to see it as place of work but rather as a vacation spot. When the time came for Eli to give the test I went in the classroom and helped him proctor it. It’s the first time I’ve helped proctor a test outside of the US.

At around 18:30 another professor dropped by Eli’s office and we all discussed the possibility of jointly working on a project.

After that we got on the car and drove back. It was way past the rush hour and it took us a lot less to drive back that it took us to get to Natanya.

No comments:

Post a Comment