Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesday, June 30, 2009. Day 12

Stats
Trip Total: 805.4
Day Total: 81.65

I woke up early but got up late, at around 9:00. Had breakfast and got info on how to get to the post office. I never told you but yesterday I made the decision to throw stuff overboard. I was carrying too much with me. All this time I've been thinking of biking John who only carries his toothbrush and his underware in his biking wanderings. Naturally I couldn't thin it down to that level but I ended up mailing to Greece 4 kilos (9 pounds) of stuff. People at the post office were really nice and in all probability they had never shipped anything to Greece before.

I returned to the hotel packed up and left. On the way out of Muğla I took a picture of the market place 'cause it looked nice.
After a couple of miles on the highway I heard a police sirene and somebody shouting from a loudspeaker. I assumed that after shedding 9 pounds of cargo, my bike became so light that I unwittingly broke the speed limit. I pulled over and the cops that had stopped behind me kept shouting from the speakers. It turned out they were addressing some workers on the side of the highway. Relieved I pedaled on.

My intent was to reach Ortaca where I could buy spare tubes. On the way I ran across one of the most breathtaking views I've ever seen. You will decide for yourselves. (DOUBLECLICK ON A PICTURE AND IT BECOMES SCREEN SIZE.) At the bottom of the inlet,as you see it in the pictures, there is a town called Gökova, a very Slavic name, if you ask me.

I biked on and 20 kms before my destination I took a rest at a gas station near a town called Köycegiz. There was a bunch of young employees attending the gas station. One of them, Ramazan, invited me over and offered me cold soda and then as we all sat and chatted, he brought ove several rounds of tea. The discussion was conducted in Greek and Turkish. Despite the apparent incompatibility we did get through to each other. I got a lot of info, enriched my Turkish vocabulary and they got a lot of info about Greece, salaries cost of living etc.

After the pleasant interruption I biked on and reached Ortaca an hour and a half later. Before looking for a hotel I looked for a bike store. They did not have the size of the inner tube I needed and after offering me lemonade, they said that I can only find what I need in Fetiye (60 kms,) which is on my way. I went to other bike stores and got the same answer. Finally looked for and found a hotel in the middle of town, settled in, and then went out for a walk. The town is a perfectly pleasant provincial town with wide streets (typical in Turkey,) airy, and with nice people. Other than that nothing really important.

See you tomorrow

4 comments:

  1. I've returned from Spain, Italy and Switzerland. Had an excellent trip and excellent riding myself. More shortly.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. If disaster strikes, I can send you money via MoneyGram. There should be plenty of outlets in Turkey. Just let me know where you are and I can find the closest one. I can also rush bicycle parts to you quickly, though you might have to stay in a given location for a few days. I'd need an address.

    Health items: Keep your pedaling cadence above 85 except when climbing, then above 75. 86-92 is best. Use your watch and count for a full minute until you know you have the correct rhythm. This is important for your knees. Make sure that you take your crotch off the saddle for a full 30 seconds regularly - at least every 10 minutes. Especially if you have any extra luggage weight on your body. Never allow this region to become numb. Don't let your hands become numb. Change hand positions regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord of the Universe, King of the Road:
    The quick report on my end is that I am holding down the fort while you are out there conquering the roads. Also, Mr. Obama raised environment tax, health care tax, and just plain tax. I tried to fight it but to no avail.
    It is wonderful to experience the reduced version of an entire day in a few lines. I know that you are engaging in all the butt and neck breaking work so that I could enjoy the pleasure of reading your feats in great comfort.
    Since you have not mentioned anything about your knee, I am assuming that all is well in Turkey.
    Please relate my best regards to the sultan.
    May Buddha send the winds behind your back, and may Allah send you young virgins with plates heaped with freshly cooked food.
    Cale nichte
    BH

    PS: Great that you decided to put the pictures in the article instead of encime, this way I know what I am watching and don’t have to scroll back up.
    Either way, I am enjoying your trip very, very much, vicariously of course.

    ReplyDelete