Saturday, June 13, 2009

12 June, 2009: Day -6


MEET THE BIKER

The biker's name is Vassily and the bike's is Spithas(spark.)

A good preparation is crucial for the success of any mission. However, when on the road, there will always be lots of should have, could have, and told you so. My attitude on the issue is "do your best and let your readers worry about the rest." Admittedly, a very healthy one!!!

So far, I've collected all the stuff I think I will need for the ride, I had the bike checked thoroughly by trusted bikeshop mechanics, and started looking for the transportation means that will take me to where the ride will begin, that is, to Kesan Turkey. Sadly there is no longer train connection between Athens and Istanbul other than the very luxurious train that will not allow bikes on board. The government run coach transportation "due to government inefficiencies" went belly up and no longer runs. For a moment the entire plan appeared to be crumbling. Never despair, however, there will always be a alternative way. After spending an entire day asking mostly disinterested government employees, which blew me off on every occasion, I found out that a Turkish owned private coach firm still connects the two nations. If all goes well, I'll be riding their bus this coming Thursday (June 18.)

17 June, 2009: Day -1
It was an uneventful day. I spent it fighting with Greek beauraucracy and running errands, the major of which was buying the a bus ticked to Istanbul, even though I'll get off at Kesan which is way before Istanbul. The bus is leaving tomorrow at 12:00 noon and arrives in Istanbul at 6:00 in the morning the next day. My guess is that we will arrive at Kesan, where I will get off, at around 1:00 am, which is very inconvenient, for, I cannot start biking in the dark of night, on the one hand, and it will be very difficult to find a hotel at that time of night, on the other. No plans so far. I'll do what I always do when plans fail, I'll play it by ear, which has always produced results.

3 comments:

  1. As once said by Scott Carpenter "godspeed John Glenn" i said "Lotuspeed my friend VG" and most important keep me posted and up todate of your journey.

    I will be by the computer every day waiting for more news to be posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to come with you in this journey but unfortunately I'll be able to take vacation days at the end of July... I'll check out your blog everyday for your news... HAVE A NICE TRIP. Hope your knee will not be a problem at all....

    Philippos

    P.s. HOpe to see many pics when you come back

    ReplyDelete
  3. bad execution ruins superior planning, so make good use of your gear and steady pedal.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete