Friday, June 19, 2009

June 19, 2009. Day 1

Daily stats
Dıstance covered: 74.5 Kms
Avg speed: 18.8 Kms/hour
Max speed: 55.2 kms
Tıme actually riding: 3 hours and 57 mins

Got up late, had breakfast, and left the hotel at 11:15. I rode into the town center (sehir merkezı) and took out some cash, Turkish Liras (TL,) from an ATM. The people were very friendly. This observation went along with last year's impression about the Turkish people, they are indeed very friendly. As I was standing in line before the ATM waiting for an idiot that took 15 mins to complete his transaction a kid 12 to 13 years old that had passed from that spot already three times and I believe was working as the errand boy for the nearby coffee shop tapped me on the back and when I turned, he offered me a freshly squeezed lemonade. After I gulped ıt down and made for my wallet to pay the kid just left.

As I was exiting Kesan I saw a store with a Greek inscription on its front. I went in to ask for directions but nobody could speak Greek, still they were very friendly and tried to help me out. As I went on I saw another store with Greek inscriptions but this time I did not stop.

I consider this day as a test drive day. I tested the bike, the equipment, and myself. It all went well. I just hope that tomorrow I'll be able to do more miles.

I dıd get something right this time. Last year I thought that the only uphill ride would be riding from Athens to Istanbul and that after that, riding to Syria would be downhill. It appears that I was deceived. There were a lot of hills!!!

The only incident that occurred was that I had to tıghten the screws on my rudder (handlebar) that had gotten loose. It was a relief when I realized that it was the handlebar that was making the noise because all this time I had thought that the noise was coming from the wheel, which would have been serious.

Nature in this part of Turkey is identical to that of Greece and of Southern Italy. Had I not known I was ın Turkey I wouldn't be able to tell in which one of the three countries I was. Some of the scenery was really beautiful. Check it out on the picture.















Almost half way of the ride I felt tired and stopped for lunch at an abandoned cafeteria. The place was by the hıghway and was so inviting that I decided to take a nap. You can see how relaxed I am in the picture.




Finally, I arrived in Gallipolis. The town is famous for the battle that changed the course of the WWI. The Australians and the New Zealanders were badly beaten by the Turkish army and the landing of the allies was called off. If what I was told is true, it is funny. The allies were defeated because they had faulty maps of the region that did not show the cliffs where the landing was attempted.

I found a hotel (Denız hotel = Hotel of the sea) left my stuff and strolled around town. It is a really beautiful small town and its port is a jewel as the photo attests.







1 comment:

  1. I love this blog. I just wish you took a little more pictures if possible. I know upload is a real pain on the road, but we can enjoy the pictures later on when you return to the states.

    Keep on rocking! i mean posting...

    ReplyDelete