Sunday, June 21, 2009

June 21, 2009. Day 3.

Daily stats.
Trip total: 265.8 kms
Day total: 101.88 kms
Time riding: 5 hours and 49 mins
Avg speed: 18.6 kms/hour

Got up early, fixed one of the inner tubes and at around 10:00 walked over to the archaelogical site. I should have taken the bike, as it turned out that the site was further away than I had thought. Be that as it may, I spent about one hour and a half sight seeing. Below is one picture of the ruins:



After seeing Truva/Troy as best as I could I walked back, put my stuff on the bike. As it is, my stated mission is to bike and sight seeing is secondary.A t 12:00 I hit the road. It was a late start, normally by that time should have done at least half of the day's ride. Sightseeing has its price.

Once more here I am riding on E87/550. Absolutely gorgeous scenery. This land is blessed. I arrived at Ezine and continued further to Cucukkuyu. The ride was extremely hilly ride. Indeed, I had to get off Spithas and take a rest several times. My compensation came in the form of beautiful pine tree forests. I really love pine trees and these were really beautiful. In the picture below you can see the pine trees and your bonus that Spithas (the bike) an myself appear there too.




The ride took a toll on me and when I arrived at Kucukkuya (see below)



I had heated debate with myself on whether I should stay there or continue to Edremit, which according to the average of the five people I asked was less than 30 kms. As you know I always win those debates, so, I biked on promising him hefty rewards, if I made it there in time. It turned out the distance to Edremit was 38 kms. I arrived at around 20:15.

An amazing thing happened. As I was standing trying to decide which way to go, people from across the street, realizing my confusion, came over and tried to help me. The hitch was, as usually, linguistic. Still, I managed to get the info I needed. The trick is called "law of large numbers," which means you ask as many people as you can and then you follow the average answer. Believe me, it works. After asking enough people, I found Dev hotel, where I spend the night.

See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I am sitting at home and i reading this article and i am hoping that 1 of these days i will be able to join you on a trip like this. Really amazing pictures. Good job LOTU.

    ReplyDelete